We kick off our reporting on "Bladensburg - Beyond the Battle" with a report on what items were advertised for sale in a local paper, Daily National Intelligencer, March 16, 1813.
At Richard Parrott & Co. on Water Street, Georgetown, on land once owned by Washington Bowie, a mere hour or so from Bladensburg - right up the road, one could select from the following list of recently arrived quality goods.
· West India or Orleans sugar
· French brandy 4th proof
· Best West India rum
· London particular Teneriffe Sherry
· Pepper by the pound
· Lisbon salt by the bushel
· Green & white coffee by the bag
· Chests of tea; Imperial, Hyson; young Hyson; Hyson Skin and Souchong
· Bales of Pimento
· Barrels of tanner's oil
· Pickled Herrings by the box
· Ploughshare moulds
· Limited cases of Sweet Oil Spermacetia, Mould and Dipp'd candies
· flat & square "Bar iron" by the ton; and Russian steel
· Seine twine and corks; plough lines and cordage of every description
 Daily National Intelligencer; Date: 03-16-1813; Volume: I; Issue: 64; Page: ; Location: Washington (DC), District of Columbia.